An Interview with luxury footwear developer, Chris Margetts
Chris Margetts, MD at altr was given a series of questions to answer for inclusion within the PressDay fashion brands PR platform. Here’s what he had to say:
1. How did you end up in Fashion? Why did you specialise in this field?
Footwear is in the blood and I’m third generation to specialise in this area. Growing up there was only three things I was interested in, football, fashion and footwear so it was an easy choice since I wasn’t going to be a professional footballer……….sadly!!!!
2. How long have you worked in the fashion industry
Just over twenty years now
3. Please tell us about a typical day in the life of a mens footwear designer and MD of luxury footwear brand ‘altr’
It starts as soon as I wake up with checking orders received over night and then hitting emails and social media and that’s before breakfast and the school run. I have a daily FaceTime meeting with the factory to check on the production and then it’s the day to day tasks involved with expanding a brand like this which can vary from negotiating with distributors to sketching up new ideas.
4. What fascinates you most in fashion?
The fusions within fashion always catch my eye the most when designers or people dare to put things together that shouldn’t work and they just do. At the moment the luxury fusion with streetwear is very captivating and how a lot of the old school trends are been re-invented is very interesting.
5. What are the next mens footwear trends to look out for?
I think the sneaker trend in general will continue to dominate with more retro influences coming through in all areas. Moccasins and Driver shoes are my hot tip for SS19 which has already been met with a few raised eye brows so we’ll have to wait and see…
6. Your greatest professional encounter? And why?
I don’t have one experience, but I’ve met and work with lots of people who I admire for their drive and professionalism. At the moment there’s a real talent pool of new brands and designers coming though, driven by very talented people.
7. If no one were interested in fashion anymore, what would you work on?
Something to do with music probably, not that I’d make much money from it, but at least I’d enjoy it.
8. What do you love most about fashion?
The evolving nature of fashion, and the various fusions between different brands that are erupting across the industry. I like the fact that a relatively small brand can be elevated through collaboration with bigger, more well known brands.
9. What do you hate most about fashion?
Bad quality. Sadly these days a nice label or hefty price tag doesn’t always mean good quality!
10. What can we expect to see from altr in the not too distant future?
More styles, more colours and more material choices. We’re taking on showrooms and distributors from all over the world at the moment which is really exciting, so altr will be collaborating with some of the best brands and stores globally.